Tuesday, May 25, 2010

ModNation Racers Is Here!!!

It's probably been three months now since I saw my first video demo of this oh so kewl game. I've always enjoyed racer. I tried out the demo for LittleBigPlanet which allowed customizing my SackBoy, but some of the worlds got a little creepy for my taste - not a big fan of the "Day of the Dead" motif.

ModNation Racer has all the great customization features, plus some awesome racing. With the split screen, upto four people can play at once without going online. Speaking of online, the options are pretty robust too. The Tag story line is fairly interesting, but I love just doing the Quick Race. Still the best part is Customizing your racer and kart. My daughter and I mad a few mods with the demo I downloaded last week. When I inserted the disk for the first time today, the software found our custom mods and imported them so we could use them right away. We haven't uploaded any yet, but for those who are interested there are some great Custom Mods at ModNationRacerHQ.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the load time. There were many reports of slow load times on the various forums during the beta test. Are the load times long? Yes, but if your like me and like to repeat the same race to learn the tracks and improve times, then you only have to suffer once. Honestly, I don't know any game on PS3 or PS2 that doesn't have a long load between chapters. Would I prefer more of the approach that Burnout Paradise takes of providing more useful content during loads? Yes, but again it's really not that long and I suspect that the future updates will continue to improve the load times.

In the coming weeks I'll be posting more indepth post on my experiences with this awesome game.

No comments: